You can request references from applicants at any point in the screening process, whether as part of their initial application or later, in a different stage. Just use the Reference Check response type on a Questionnaire.
Candidate Questionnaires are available to customers on all paid plans. Admin permission is required to create and edit questionnaires
You can add a reference check to your questionnaire when you create it, or later in its settings.
- Click the gear icon ⚙️ in the left sidebar.
- Hover over Recruiting Preferences and click Questionnaires.
- Click the edit icon (pad and pen) next to the correct questionnaire.
- Click + Add Question.
- Enter your question and a brief description, if you like.
- Choose the Reference Check response type.
- Click the checkbox to require reference info, if you like.
- Enter the number of references to collect.
- Click the checkbox to enable Auto-verify, if you’d like Breezy to automatically email the references and collect their responses.
- If you enabled Auto-verify, click the checkbox to enable a Custom Reference Questionnaire if you’d like to include specific questions on your request.
- Click Save Changes.
Note: If you checked Auto-verify, you can opt to send a custom questionnaire to the references your candidate submits. You can include multiple, customized questions to help collect the information you need from the reference.
If you leave the auto-verify box unchecked, the reference info that candidates submit will be stored in Breezy, so you can contact references at your discretion.
Tip: Request when you’re ready!
If you plan to request references later on in the process, create a new questionnaire just for that purpose. Enable auto-verify and a custom questionnaire if you’d like to collect more details about the reference. Then, send it with a stage action right when you need it!
When you include a reference request on a questionnaire, the candidate will see a simple form that asks for each reference’s name, email address, and relationship type.
When a candidate submits reference info, or a reference responds to an automated reference check, we'll add the details to the References tab of the candidate's profile.
- Open the candidate’s profile.
- Click the More dropdown near the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click References to open the References tab.
Updated 2 months ago